Monday, April 15, 2013

Book Review - Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

 
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Colleen Hoover 12/18/2012

BN ID: 2940016106731

Goodread's Synopsis:
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.


I really liked Colleen's first two books Slammed and Point of Retreat.  So I was very excited when this book came out. 
This author does an amazing job of making the reader feel what the characters are feeling.  I found myself hanging on every single word she wrote.
And, she uses feelings and phrases that make me think 'Yes! That's exactly how that feels.'  In one of the first physical scenes in this book, she describes how Sky, the female main character, feels when she is touched by Holder, the male main character.  It was such clever and precise wording, I had to read that sentence more than once.
This authors makes you want to be in the story with her characters.  You want to know them. 
And, her plot twists and turns were compelling.  She knows how to hook a reader to keep reading.

That being said, I am not into teenage sex scenes at all.  This book is for over 17 readers.  But it was definitely targeted to the YA crowd. 

I thought a lot of the sexual content was unnecessary and it actually slowed the story down instead of boosting the emotional connection with the reader.  And every time I read, he kissed her on the head, I wanted to roll my eyes.

All in all, I really liked this book.  The author grabs your emotions and takes you for a ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment