Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Romance Character Pet Peeves

I love to read, and I do it a lot.  I like romance in all its different genres.  But there are a few things that make me roll my eyes every time I read them.  I thought I would share a few of these pet peeves that make my mind scream "Why did you do that?"

1.  Hero's with a mustache.  Seriously?  I mean some scruffy five o'clock shadow can be sexy, but most facial hair should be a no-no.  I can't picture my hero doing anything anymore, all I can see is lip hair, not good.

2.  'She met him stroke for stroke.'  This phrase makes me roll my eyes EVERY time. 

3.  Female character's who complain about being fat.  I don't mind hearing about character insecurities at all, but when the author is trying to tell me that this character is a bombshell, and then she talks about barely fitting into her jeans, I get annoyed.  And then, I picture her chubby.  It may be shallow, but I want my romance main characters attractive.  It's fiction!

4.  Talking through clenched teeth.  Try it right now.  Clench your teeth and talk out loud.  It just sounds stupid and most people can go their whole life without doing it.  But in some romance novels, characters talk that way through entire books.  Its gotta be exhausting.

5.  And my last one (for today)...I have read two books in the last few months that show the main character on the toilet....doing...things.  Please, please don't tell my about the hero's bowel movements.  That isn't something I would talk about with my best friend, family members, even my doctor, so I don't want to read about it.  And then, like the mustache, all I can picture is this guy on the toilet....no thank you.

So there are my "please don't" or eye-roll inducing pet peeves.  If you have any, I would LOVE to hear about them!  Comment here, or on my facebook page www.facebook.com/authortinleyinnes

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment